Date: Sun Feb 19 21:38:36 2006
From: juha-matti.laurio at netti.fi (Juha-Matti Laurio)
Subject: update on the linux worm

> On Sunday 19 February 2006 16:27, Micheal Turner wrote:
> > Could you clarify what vulnerabilities are being
> > exploited in the PHP applications ?
> >

> To my knowledge: mambo, phpgroupware and wordpress.
> I submitted a sample to Clamav AV yesterday.

It is likely that XML-RPC for PHP vulnerabilites are same as being
exploited in last November, the list of affected products is very long:
http://www.osvdb.org/displayvuln.php?osvdb_id=17793

This conclusion is because of same malware name being used now, several
AV vendors say this is a variant of Linux.Lupper, BDS/Katien etc.

> AntiVir recognises it as Worm/Linux.Lupper.B,  Kaspersky Anti-Virus as
> Net-Worm.Linux.Mare.e. Others don't.
>
> F.

Some other vendors has protection too. According to Web sites of AV
vendors Sophos sees this as Linux/Lupper-H and Trend uses name
ELF_MARE.C (Executable Linux File), only some examples listed.

- Juha-Matti