Date: Tue Feb 21 18:06:46 2006
From: piercede at pdx.edu (Dean Pierce)
Subject: Compromised host list - some clarification...

If you need to protect your ssh from scanners, wouldn't it prolly just
be best to block people that are actually scanning you?  I use the
denyhosts script (watches logs for failed login attempts, and blocks ips
based on that), and there are a couple other good ones.  The two main
problems with your solution is..

1. how can you trust some magical offsite list so much that you are
willing to block traffic based on what it says?

2. how can you believe that such a list would ever be complete, or even
through?  New machines get taken over all the time, and my guess is that
the average lifespan of such machines is about a week or so before an
admin sees what's going on.

   - DEAN