Date: Wed Mar 15 18:41:47 2006
From: simon at snosoft.com (Simon Smith)
Subject: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall.

gboyce wrote:
> Ok, so what's your alternative?
My alternative is to manage critical systems without using a web based
GUI. Since there aren't that many truly critical systems (in my network)
I can do that without a problem.

> You're already assuming that the user of the firewall is already
> misusing SSL.  They need to blindly accept unsigned SSL certificates,
> and changes to the certificates.  Just about any security restrictions
> you can apply can be done away with if the user is incompetant enough.
    You're right.

> Some form of challenge response?  If you can already perform a man in
> the middle attack, than challenge response is just as vulnerable.
> Just connect to the server when the client hits you, and pass them the
> challenge you recieved.  Use the credential yourself, and pass them a
> failure.  When they try again, connect them to the server.
    You're right again.  Does everyone here think that the majority of
companies hire security aware people?
> I suppose client certificates would work, but do you honestly believe
> there are many firewall admins who would go through the pain and
> effort to setup a server that deals with client certificates properly,
> but wouldn't notice SSL server certificate changes?
    I still agree with you.