Date: Tue Mar 28 19:01:14 2006
From: tonu at jes.ee (Tõnu Samuel)
Subject: Critical PHP bug - act ASAP if you are running
	web with sensitive data

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 15:55, T?nu Samuel wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I want to tell that pretty nasty bug was discovered in PHP (all tested
> versions were vulnerable). I do not want to disclose much details as it may
> hurt many websites. I expect PHP team to make patch first.
>
> There is simple way to protect yourself against this bug if you put some
> code in beginning of every source code looking for weird ASCII bytes before
> any other code. Make some kind of "white-list" for characters you allow and
> deny everything else.

I got lot of mails about topic, so I try to make FAQ here.

Q: Is it remote or local exploit?
A: Both. Works 100% for local and less for remote.

Q: Looking weird ascii WHERE?
A: in $_GET, $_POST, $_COOKIE and $_REQUEST. This should help in most cases.

Q: Why did you posted so few information?
A: More seems to be dangerous. I hope this case it is possible to fight
problem before real 0day is coming out.

Q: Which exact PHP versions are affected?
A: I believe ALL of them. I am running 5.0.4 coming with SuSE 10 and all
updates but I received reports for other distributions and PHP 4 and 5 both
are vulnerable.

One more thing - many people mail me from public webmail accounts telling "I
am the admin of big bank, can you tell details?". Sorry, I do not know if you
are real or not.

   T?nu