Date: Wed Mar 29 16:42:01 2006
From: fd at g-0.org (GroundZero Security)
Subject: Hello everyone

Hello,

well the problem is, if you do access the System, you cross the line.
Even if its open or without password, but that is already illegal access.

Sure you just want to be nice, but if one of the users you try to inform
gets angry, then he could still contact law enforcement. On the legal side, he
would be right as you accessed his System. Especially if its on a cooperate
network. Companies have a lot to loose if customer data or even source code
gets stolen, so even if you inform them of a bug, they can't be sure that you
didn't already copy things, unless they inform law officials to raid you.

In the 90s, if you informed a Administrator of a vulnerability, you offten
received a present of some sort like a free t-shirt  :-) but those times changed.
At least i didnt hear of someone receiving a present for hacking in years
(contests don't count). Its a nice idea to inform the people the have vulnerabilities,
but you have to be carefull. If you just scan and tell them that port 139 is open
then its fine as you didnt access the System and as far as i know port scanning
is still legal in most countries, but if you actually connect to a open share thats a
different story.

A few years back there was also a discussion about whitehat worms which would
scan and patch vulnerable hosts, but its still illegal to hack a system and install
software, no matter if its to patch or not. Well i suggest you setup a little test
network and hack those Systems on your LAN. On that way you can learn
without breaking the law. You need to understand how bugs get exploited and
how to find vulnerabilities in code and how to write your own exploits.
Get some old daemons which are known to be vulnerable and where exploits
exist to get a better understanding. Just a few hints, hope that helps you out.

good luck! (and dont trust any hacking certifications as that is just to make money)

-sk
Http://www.groundzero-security.com