Date: Thu Mar 30 00:38:41 2006
From: ross.thomson at capgemini.com (Thomson, Ross)
Subject: Hello everyone

Certainly a kind though- I have considered it myself when scanning open
wireless networks. However a few things to take into consideration:

* The Law: Even though you are doing it for the good of the internet; the
end users who see a unknown message popup might think otherwise. Also, is
your ISP likely to detect a mass scan; they will almost certainly see it as
malicious.

* Spam: Could these messages be deemed as spam or become an annoyance to
those who choose to have their systems open (for whatever reason)

* Are you willing to be liable for your actions, even if the outcome is
negative?

User education is a great thing; its how you do it that needs thinking about
:)

-Ross