Date: Fri Apr 14 00:43:04 2006
From: user05 at kyberwelt.de (dumdidumdideldey)
Subject: Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately sabotaged
	hosts-file lookup

hi

A.L.M.Buxey@...ro.ac.uk wrote:
> hi,
>
> ...makes me wonder what happens if/when they need to change the
> IP address of go.microsoft.com
>
> many many people have already been burnt by the hardcoding of
> addresses/IPs into their applications.

thats the point. its not the ip which is hardcoded. its the
fqdn which is extempted from being lookud up in the local
hosts-file.
DaveK is absolutely right with his expressions about this behaviour.
i neither do believe this is an attempt to prevent some malware
from interrupting ms-autoupdate. you see ... even microsoft
would never be that shortsighted!!! (errm ... at least i hope so)

virtual