Date: Fri Apr 14 16:45:26 2006
From: imipak at gmail.com (imipak)
Subject: Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately sabotaged
	hosts-file lookup

Nick FitzGerald wrote:

> So, the exception is not that the IP is hard-coded, but that the DNS resolver skips looking in hosts for that _domain_ and necessarily does a network DNS lookup...

Presumably, it uses whichever DNS server the local OS thinks it
should use, no differently than any other application on the machine.
So, the workaround for Dave who wants to block connections is simple,
for a given value of simple of course --  run a local, caching only
DNS resolver, which proxies everything back to the usual DNS server,
*except* for which Microsoft sub-domains you'd like to overrule.

I know nothing of BIND configuration (or any other DNS server) but I
imagine this is at least possible.

Unless the DNS server is itself hardcoded in MediaPlayer, as well?

cheers

/i

--
And what exactly is a dream?