Date: Thu Apr 20 07:32:37 2006
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: Re: kiddie porn warning [was: Fwd: Re: montspace
	-- child porn (site still up)]

This is an example of politicos gone wild. What funtionally happens is
that when some hot button issue comes down the pike every politico wants
to be seen as having done something about whatever the big scary thing
is. In the 1950s and the early 1960s it was Communism and Communist
Infilitrationm now it is Terrorism and Child Pornography. So all sorts
of  laws get passed requiring one to do something just in case. My
suspcions is that lots of technical people get burnt out with all of
these requirements and put them on the bottom of the list of things to do.

I live in a town known for some of its out there residents. I remember
that after September 11th 2001 for several years the local FBI  office
was fielding many phone calls from people who had claimed to have
overheard all sorts of diabolical plans while standing in the line at
the local post office. They were getting really burned out by it all. I
was once a sysadmin for a system that lots of folks had access to, lots
of complaints about the "naked kids standing in the bathtub"  pix. WHich
by the way "Simple Nudity is Not Obscene" and all that stuff that came
down when artitsts used their children as nude models.  I dunno I
haven't ever been able to track down this montspace stuff to see if any
of it was really that reprehensible. There is a difference between
represhensible and something that justg sets off someone,

Usually I wouldn't difgnify this with print but since this is something
that is often part and parcel of a systemadmin's worfld, and heaven
knows if my health should ever improve enough for me to do that sort of
stuff again....I suspect it will become part of the world I will have to
deal with again and it will be back to "is this something real that real
resources shold be devoted to, or it kind of like a "Satanic Panic" and
McMartin Preschool Scandal, and all that sort of stuff that really is
pretty questionable.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve