Date: Fri May  5 15:32:41 2006
From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (bkfsec)
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately
	sabotagedhosts-file lookup]

Sharing with this list in the interest of Full Disclosure.  My response
to Thor was rejected from bugtraq, supposedly because the thread was
killed... but we all know the real reason.  Since Thor was (is?) a
"temporary security focus moderator" it's OK for him to flame and berate
other posters (he began his post with "I won't respond anymore until
there is an intelligent response" or something along those lines.) but
when someone corrects him for his rant it gets bounced because they have
to protect their own.

With all the noise on this list, there's one thing that we should be
happy about -- there is no "protect your own" mentality here like there
is on other mailing lists.

As far as the content, I think that regarding the thread (which also
happened here) it's germane to point out that one benefit that Microsoft
derives from having the functionality of those hostnames hardcoded to
avoid the hosts file is clearly in tracking and verification of
licenses, regardless of whether it was their primary intent or not.  So
Thor's statements here are entirely inappropriate.

                   -bkfsec