Date: Wed May 17 07:14:25 2006
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: **LosseChange::Debunk it??**

On Wed, 17 May 2006 01:45:06 EDT, ducki3 said:

> that WT Center 7 which wasn't even hit by a plane collapsed due to
> fire from debris when hundreds of buildings in the past burned for
> days without collapsing.

There's also tens of thousands of buildings that burned down when
the building next to them was burning.  See the Chicago Fire (allegedly
started by Mrs O'Leary's cow), or any case of a row of warehouses burning
down...

>                         Hell a plane hit the Empire state building.
> It never collapsed.

The Empire State Building was hit by a B-25 Mitchell bomber. Stats:

Length: 52 ft 11 in (16.1 m)
Wingspan: 67 ft 6 in (20.6 m)
Height: 17 ft 7 in (4.8 m)
Empty weight: 21,120 lb (9,580 kg)
Loaded weight: 33,510 lb (15,200 kg)
Maximum speed: 275 mph (239 knots, 442 km/h)
Cruise speed: 230 mph (200 knots, 370 km/h)

OK? Fully loaded, the thing only weighed 10 times my Toyota Camry.

The WTC towers were hit by Boeing 767s. Stats:

Lenth: 159 to 201 feet, depending on model (-200 to -400)
Wingspan: 156 to 170 feet.
Height: 52 feet
Empty weight: 164,000 to 227,000 lb
Loaded weight: 300,000 to 450,000 lb.
Cruise speed: 540 mph.

Now we're talking something 100 to 150 times the weight of my Camry.

And you're surprised that a plane that weighs 10 to 15 times as much, and
cruising at twice the speed, does a lot more damage when it hits?

Crash a 2,000 pound compact car going 30 miles per hour into your house.
Measure the hole created.

Then crash a 20,000 pound tractor-trailer going 60mph into your house.
Measure the hole created.

What was your point again?