Date: Sun May 21 17:31:17 2006
From: cmorris at cs.odu.edu (Charles Morris)
Subject: Insecure call to
	CreateProcess()/CreateProcessAsUser()

I understand that this issue is known, however different applications run
CreateProcess in different ways,
some use the lpApplicationName variable and some use lpCommandLine properly.
My point is however that
the explorer program itself does not do this properly, and that anyone using
explorer or "Internet explorer",
is vulnerable to attack from the web through at least telnet:// links.

(at least proven with Hyperterminal as coincidently
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\telnet.exe has no spaces)

Other telnet clients installed to different directories (with spaces) will
also trigger the problem.

It seems to me that I (speaking from a web programmers point of view) should
not be able to ask your computer
to run executables at (what seems to me, at least) arbitrary paths.

This is also a major problem in multiuser environments, as you can trick
some windows services into running your applications.

I have been notifying vendors one by one of their problem, if it is in their
code,
 as it seems that nobody wants to really talk about the huge implications of
this;
maybe I am exaggerating the problem. what do you think?