Date: Sat May 27 18:14:49 2006
From: davefd at davewking.com (Dave King)
Subject: Application Security Hacking Videos

I'm not sure what the clips from Microsoft are trying to show. To me it
seems like they're intended to show that microsoft doesn't have a good
fix for the problem at hand. From what I gathered from the training they
were trying to show some ways to seriously lock down a SQL Server 2000,
which would help mitigate some risks, while causing some usability
problems. Microsoft has been an advocate of strong server side input
validation (ASP.Net even has some nice features to help you with this).
The video was just showing another layer in a good layered security
approach.

Lastly, I'm of the opinion that ticks should be allowed in a password. I
don't like restricting characters in a password. However best practices
should be followed. If for example, in the video the college had been
storing the password as a secure hash, then hashing the password that
was input and comparing them (preferably using a stored proc to do the
sql stuff), then the attack would have failed.

Dave King

http://www.thesecure.net
http://www.remotecheckup.com