Date: Sat Jun  3 22:59:46 2006
From: very at unprivate.com (php0t)
Subject: Tool Release - Tor Blocker

Would it be a big think to ask that you try to get along?

Steven: hardcoding tor node IP's into a module, blocking tor as a means
of security is weird I agree but cussing and flaming never helped
anybody - I've read other replies in the thread that were a lot more
useful than 'clueless fucking dork, learn to code', etc.

Jason: 'protecting' only apache, from only a certain list of 'proxies'
will not leave your network more secure than it was when they rooted it.
Shouldn't you be concerned about how they got in? Do you already know ?
If not, shouldn't you be looking for that? If you do know, was it
something out-of-the-ordinary? Maybe if you posted THAT, it would have
made more sense than trying to get people to install some 3rd party
apache module to block a number of IP's that might not be on the net a
week later. Or was it NOT something-out-of-the-ordinary? In that case,
for example, some buggy PHP exploited, safe_mode being turned off, and
whatnot - then you should be REALLY taking some basic security measures
- otherwise, your tor blocking attempt is exactly what your signature
says: 'security through obscurity'.

As a finish, let me quote from the tor FAQ

8.4. You should hide the list of Tor servers, so people can't block the
exits.

[link
<http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#WhyBlockable> ]

There are a few reasons we don't:

1.
We can't help but make the information available, since Tor clients need
to use it, so if the "blockers" want it, they can get it anyway.

2.
If people want to block us, we believe that they should be allowed to do
so. Obviously, we would prefer for everybody to allow Tor users to
connect to them, but people have the right to decide who their services
should allow connections from, and if they want to block anonymous
users, they can.

3.
Being blockable also has tactical advantages: it may be a persuasive
response to website maintainers who feel threatened by Tor. Giving them
the option may inspire them to stop and think about whether they really
want to eliminate private access to their system, and if not, what other
options they might have. The time they might otherwise have spent
blocking Tor, they may instead spend rethinking their overall approach
to privacy and anonymity.