Date: Sun Jun  4 00:16:06 2006
From: houdini+full-disclosure at clanspum.net (Bill Weiss)
Subject: Tool Release - Tor Blocker

Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu(Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)@Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:59:31AM -0400:
> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 23:47:38 CDT, str0ke said:
> > Umm what about the new ip addresses that are added to the tor network?
> >
> > http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/exit.pl?sortbw=1&addr=1&textonly=1
>
> Ahh.. there we go.  Now a wget of that every once in a while, and a little
> bit of Perl kung-foo to build an 'addrs.h' file that gets #include'ed and
> then rebuild the module, and we're getting closer. ;)
>
> (And don't forget to throw out any alleged exit addresses in your own
> address space, and any other addresses you really don't want to block.
> It's embarassing when a clever hacker uses your own security routines to
> DoS you ;)

Responding to Jason more than you, Valdis.  Excuse me.

Several remarks:

1) Where did you get that list from?  The Tor server I run (which has
been up continually for over a year) isn't in it.

2) Some of us use our Tor servers for "legitimate" traffic as well.
You'll block all of that traffic.  Are you sure you don't want the
traffic of the 50+ people who use this server?

3) I think you've just suggested giving a webpage (one which may be
hostile towards your goals) control over who can and cannot access your
web server.  What happens if one day that CGI hands you a list containing
every IP in your /24?  I know that, if I ran said webpage, I would be
tempted to do so every once in a while.

Even if you're looking for addresses in your own address space, what
about other useful pages?  Business partners, customers, etc.

4) As others have pointed out, bad choice of a signature for the
beginning of this thread :)

5) Rebuilding (reinserting, etc) the module every time the nodes list
changed (> 1 / day) would suck.

--
Bill Weiss