Date: Sun Jun 11 15:03:25 2006
From: tim-security at sentinelchicken.org (Tim)
Subject: IPv6 Address Cookies

Hello,

I finished up my master's thesis in April, and thought a few of you
might be interested in the paper.

Abstract

It has long been known to researchers that address spoofing on the
Internet is a serious problem. While a great deal of effort has been put
into finding theoretical and practical solutions, spoofed attacks are
still globally endemic. They represent a simple nuisance to many, but a
business-halting bane to others. Enter IPv6. IPv6 is the next generation
of the Internet protocol designed to alleviate the existing global
address shortage and improve the scalability and extensibility of the
aging IPv4 protocol. This new protocol provides an enormous 128-bit
address space, which should provide enough addresses for several
decades, if not centuries, of Internet expansion. In this paper, we
propose methods which utilize the large IPv6 address space to mitigate
spoofed attacks.

The paper can be downloaded here:
  http://www.sentinelchicken.com/research/tdm-ms-thesis/

Constructive comments welcome.