Date: Mon Jun 12 10:23:58 2006
From: schanulleke.29172787 at bloglines.com (schanulleke.29172787@...glines.com)
Subject: scanning

--- Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> What's this mean? It means that if you
scan some lame-ass system and it
> crashes as a result, you might be in deep
shit.  And "it shouldn't have
> crashed from a portscan" does *not* hold
up in court.

Having done pen-testing in the past I have disabled (dos-ed)
systems and entire networks with a portscan.

My employer would never let
me do any work withaout a prior written agreement.

However, law is highly
fluctuate over time and from country to country. Dutch law recently changed.
In the past you had to have broken a security barrier in order to be accused
of hacking, now it has changed to "with the intent to  do harm".

Is it
illegal? Not enough data to compute / that is one for the lawers...
Is it
unwise? Probably...
Will you get cought/sued? Unlikely...
Would I bother