Date: Tue Jun 20 15:33:31 2006
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Solved -flaws in e-business designer (eBD)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:51:22 +0200, Blanca Pons de Dalmases said:

> This could be consider as a bug, but not as a vulnerability, since ALL
> the "manager users" have a tool in eBD called SQLManager, that allows
> them to send querys against the data base with no need to use SQL
> Injection. The "manager users" in eBD are "application developers", and
> they can create tables, modify the data, etc., they do not need to use
> SQL injection to obtain this, so we can not consider this as a security
> vulnerability.

Poor thinking, security-wise.  This still has a problem - if a remote attacker
can find a way to bypass the authentication and cause an SQL injection, they
can gain control, even if they can't find a way to bypass the authentication
and seize control of the SQLManager tool you provided.

If you need help in understanding why this is a problem, walk into your
boss's office and ask:

"OK, since I know you have tools to create and manage requests for stuff,
there's no problem if I create some requests myself, and trick you into signing
them to authorize doubling my salary and buying me a Porsche, right?"

After all, since he was provided a tool to manage purchase orders, it's
not a vulnerability if a fake one gets created, right? :)