Date: Tue Jun 27 05:37:49 2006
From: drellman at hotmail.com (Saeed Abu Nimeh)
Subject: Sniffing RFID ID's ( Physical Security )

This was proposed here: http://www.rfidvirus.org/

> My ideas on RFID risk in its current implementation:
> I'm thinking a lot of the risk with RFID would be within ID cards and
> physical security. I have been in 100's of companies that use RFID ID cards
> for physical security to access a building. Just rock up and swipe your
> badge in front of the reader right???
>
> What if an attacker was sitting at the cafe downstairs sniffing RFID (
> Well,
> sending out RFID signals to power the chips and get a response ). Wouldn't
> it be trivial to obtain the STATIC ID codes stored on the RFID chips and
> write them to a generic chip?

The tag should only be revoked by a certain reader. Off the counter
readers would be able to revoke simple or non secure tags. If the tag
carries minimal symmetric or asymmetric security it would be hard to
decrypt information. However, would the organizers of WC or Olympics use
encrypted tags? I think they should if they want to stay away from
cloning or sniffing. I have proposed similar attack scenarios in loyalty
cards that are used in grocery stores to steal customer personal
information carried on the card.

Thanks,
Saeed