Date: Thu Jun 29 05:10:26 2006
From: drellman at hotmail.com (Saeed Abu Nimeh)
Subject: Are consumers being misled by "phishing"?

Because it is not only social engineering. There are two parts of the
attack 1) social engineering aspect and 2) technical subterfuge. A
trojan that changes your local host file is not social engineering. This
trojan can be downloaded via a hole in your ie browser with no much
effort from an attacker. then the trojan changes your host file and
rather than pointing you to paypal.com 1.1.1.1 it points you to 2.2.2.2
I discussed a similar point with my colleagues and could not get an
answer: Does phishing have to satisfy both conditions in the definition,
i.e. social engineering AND tech subterfuge or one is enough: social
engineering OR tech subterfuge. Also, in one of the conferences a guy
argued that you can not call it identity theft, because if someone
steals your identity you will never exist, you have to call it
impersonation! so it depends.
2 cents,
Saeed