Date: Thu Jun 29 09:18:49 2006
From: ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron)
Subject: Are consumers being misled by "phishing"?

I guess I'm in kiddie flaming mood this week. About time too, been a
while.

> I believe the industry coined up "phishing" to make more money out of
> social engineering. Its obvious now that both are over lapping. Only
> the other day Gadi Evron was trying to coin up a phrase for "voice
> phishing". Why can't we cut to the chase and drop the (ph)rases and
> call it straight forward SOCIAL ENGINEERING.

Hey there n3td3v team. I actually agree with you. Terming things with new
names all the time is very annoying. Pharming is one good example.

I guess when the annual revenuw from phishing for the mafia gets to 2
Billion USD, things get their own names.

Thing is, I didn't term "Vishing". Wish I did, it's cute and to the
point. Let call it a sym link to "Phishing +phone". Let me tell you
a short story, though. It's about arguing on the colour of bits.

Ever heard of a guy (sorry, group) called n3td3v? :) I didn't either. Why
do people need nicknames?! We all have names right!@

Well, I suppose we need 10 different users to digg stories with.

It's like the other guy responding here thought security is all about
vulnerabilities, social engineering and some other silly thing. If you
really have to simplify, than try and rise above Hacking Exposed. Security
is about Trust.
:)

Oh, and BTW - I have two tasks for you:
1. Learn to read.