Date: Tue Jul  4 19:39:01 2006
From: harlequin at earthlink.net (Eric Ericson)
Subject: Undisclosed breach at major US facility

(I'm not a lawyer, but I spent a couple of three years working IS in
Radiology at a hospital so take it for what it's worth.)

First a couple of things:

1) There is no HIPAA enforcement agency. All infractions are considered
either a civil rights violation (yeah, I'm serious) or a criminal violation.

2) HIPAA applies to any company who has "data custodian" rights for any
electronic Patient Health Information (ePHI). That means the hospital,
vendors, even regular corporate HR departments (because of any information
they might have about your prior medical conditions in conjunction with your
Medical Insurance).

3) When you said you verified the patient data as being valid, what exactly
do you hypothetically mean? The reason I ask is that the Patriot act has
some VERY nasty penalties regarding offensive actions taken towards
hospitals. If you're clean though, I wouldn't stress.

4) HIPAA does have teeth in a situation like this if this data disclosure
was due to negligence or malice. If the data was knowingly disclosed the
penalty can be up to a US$250,000 fine and ten years in prison. That's for
an individual, not an organization (as are most of the other fines).

So, with that said. What I'd recommend is that you contact the Risk
Management department at the Hospitals. Explain the situation to them and
just make it clear you're trying to help. They're biggest concern is C-ing
the hospital's A, so I wouldn't stress to hard on them trying to place blame
on you. Plus this also puts them in a situation where they knowingly have to
disclose to their patients, and if the Risk Management group is mostly
lawyers, so they're less likely to try to bury this.

Good Luck,

-E2

(Oh, if you're looking for more HIPAA info, check out UCSF Medical center's
page at http://www.ucsf.edu/hipaa)

--
Eric Ericson
harlequin@...thlink.net

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck
Norris