Date: Wed Jul  5 12:22:51 2006
From: screwedbytaxes at hushmail.com (screwedbytaxes@...hmail.com)
Subject: Who should i contact?

Hello all,

The recent thread on the exposed data containing hospital records
made me think to ask something here.

I have recently received spam to several email addresses created
explicitly and solely for filing my US federal taxes online through
an internet tax filing system. The emails I received are tied to
four separate filings by four separate people on a COMPLETELY
unrelated subject through an IP address managed by a completely
different person than the entity that these addresses were given
to.

I've already asked the tax filing company for more information
about any breaches they may have suffered and what other
information may have been exposed. They asked for the source
emails, which I provided, and I have not heard back. This was over
a week ago.

What should I do? What would you do?

I'm not up on current legislation (I'm a part-time security guy),
but would this fall under HIPAA (one of the people filing is
disabled, that data was included on the online form), Sarbanes
Oxley, GLBA, California Breach Act (I'm in CA)... or anything else?

Since it looks like they're not going to even respond to me, I'd
like to nail them to the wall.

Thanks

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485