Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:37:22 -0400
From: "J. Oquendo" <sil@...iltrated.net>
To: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan@...xworks.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: New Laptop Polices

Bob Radvanovsky wrote:
> You mean the fact that you are *erquired* now to *check* your laptop along with your baggage?  Take into account that most laptops aren't easy to remove the hard disk drives, and that most laptops of corporate and/or government executives contain either sensitive or classified information, I don't seriously think that the UK government, nor its corporations, have taken into consideration all of the consequences involved.  Take for example the ongoing issues of laptops mysteriously disappearing (esp. the Veteran's Administration...I lost count, how many has it been, 5 times?) that contains spreadsheets and/or databases that contains *private* information.

You're confusing two things here. What one corporation and their
policies concerning securing information have to do with his initial
question is obsolete. I'm under the impression of his message he didn't
mean the safety of his data. But in case he did then he needs a lot of
reading to do going back in time to days of the rainbow series books.
> The UK needs to consider the implications about *how* they will cover the loss of financial, sensitive or classified information...

I don't believe (again) this was his initial question, whether or not
the officials in the airline industry give a rats rear of whether or not
corporate/private data is secure.
> Just my 2 cents worth, which by today's standards doesn't even get you a piece of gum any more...sad, isn't it?
>
> -r
>
> P.S.  I think that corporations now need to state that corporate executives should NOT have corporate data on their hard disk drives; further locking down corporate assets.  I think that they should make it easier for the removal of hard disk drives to be removed so they aren't stolen.

And you hope to accomplish this how? I can agree that data needs to be
minimized but there are plenty of options available to completely lock
down any laptop from the BIOS on up so I fail to see what you were truly
hoping to state.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
GPG Key ID 0x1383A743
Fingerprint:
7B02 28CF 24D3 ACA7 9907  789A 8772 7736 1383 A743
26:0608031813:J. Oquendo::fNaE6zH/HDTggYKS:005zLMj

sil . infiltrated @ net
http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams