Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:18:11 +1200
From: Nick FitzGerald <nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: RE: Yahoo/Geocities possible exploit/vulnerability

Jain, Siddhartha wrote:

> The phishing apart, how can a userid be spoofed on Yahoo Messenger? Is
> this something trivial? I thought Yahoo fixed the issue with Y!Messenger
> 5.0.

Ummmm -- unless I'm missing something here (and as I've already said
I'm NOT a YIM expert), in any system (like YIM) that only does user
identification through a username-and-password-style login, if someone
knows your username and password, then that someone _is_ you as far as
said system is concerned.  Of course, the phishers (or their bots)
behind this scam are not really you, but YIM doesn't know that, so to
YIM there is no spoofing -- when the phisher/bot did a YIM login with
your credentials, as far as YIM was concerned, _you_ were logging in...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald