Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:25:18 -0400
From: "K F (lists)" <kf_lists@...italmunition.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: NETRAGARD-20060624 SECURITY ADVISORY] [ROXIO
	TOAST	7 TITANIUM - LOCAL ROOT COMPROMISE ]

I am going to have to disagree... the admin users on OS X can NOT become
root at any time. The admin user must first know the admin password
before becoming root.

Simple example... I walk into your office and your mac is logged in as
admin. If I try to do any admin level tasks like add a user or install
software (into system folders) I must first authenticate.  If I don't
know your password then sorry about my luck.

Based on the info below ANYONE that sits down at your pc while it is
logged in can take advantage of the fact that you can take root WITHOUT
a password using the technique outlined below.

Don't act like you have never let someone use a web browser or log into
instant messenger on your computer before...

Heck I may go down to the apple store and take root on one of the demo
machines that has 20 bajillion software apps instaled on it for me to
try before I buy. Chances are the machines are logged in as admin...
chances are they (folks at Apple store) feel safe because I don't know
the password.... chances are they are mistaken ... just like you.

-KF