Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 07:57:53 -0700
From: darren kirby <bulliver@...computer.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Re: tar alternative

quoth the Tim:
> > What problems ?
>
> 1. tar archives contain information about the user and group of a file.
>    This is critical for backups, but quite unnecessary for software
>    distribution in the vast majority of cases.  It is a common pitfall
>    for software authors to leak information about their systems this
>    way.

What tar are you using? With every tarball I download the files within are
given the owner:group of the user I extract them as.

I have never seen a developer's username or group disclosed...

> 2. As discussed in this thread, tar archives contain permissions for
>    files.  Also important for backups, not important for software
>    distribution IMHO.

Sure they are important. Would you want to manually chmod +x all executables
and scripts? Manually chmod +r all documentation? Even stipulating that we
could use the umask value to decide permissions it is still a PITA.

> 3. tar traditionally allows files to be extracted to any directory,
>    which can be dangerous.

This can be mitigated if you don't blindly extract tarballs as root, and you
only extract in safe locations. If you unpack stuff to '/' you deserve to
hose your system.

True, some boneheads don't package their stuff in a top-level directory
potentially overwriting existing files in the pwd. Perhaps the GNU folks
should add a 'noclobber' option....

> True, these behaviors can be overridden, or a tool developed that has
> safe defaults, but then the tool would be less useful for backups.  The
> point is, the Unix community has been using a backup tool for software
> distribution for many years.  Perhaps having the right tool for the job
> would be safer.
>
> For instance, a format that only contained filenames and timestamps, and
> is built to only output all files under a specific directory tree would
> be nice.
>
> > I would say cpio, but you don't want any backup designed archivers.
>
> Yeah, I had thought of that as well, but it likely has the same issues.
>
> thanks,
> tim

-d