Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:37:07 -0500
From: "ericscher@....com" <ericscher@....com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Sasser or other nasty worm needed

Chris -

I don't know what to make of your "please reply off-list; I'm not a member"
comment.
It's almost as ridiculous as what you are requesting.

If I take your question at face value, you are an INSTRUCTOR, not an Admin.
That means you probably teach an A+ class, maybe an abbreviated CCNA
program.

You have NO FUCKING BUSINESS WHATSOEVER even THINKING about turning loose a
dangerous piece of Malware in someone else's network. And it IS someone
else's network; specifically it belongs to the district.

Speak as a network engineer for a large midwestern schooldistrict, if you
did that in MY network, I'd have your job. GOD HELP YOU if it turns out
that you actually ARE a teacher in my district. I don't recognize the name,
but you can bet your ass that every time we have an infection in one of our
schools from now until the stars burn out; that I'll be making a point of
asking who the computer teachers are in that building.

You want to teach these kids a lesson? Write it on the blackboard.

We have enough work to do just keeping up with the kids, without an alleged
professional turning loose a worm in our network.

I'm a high school network administration teacher
looking for a creative means of teaching my students
the importance of patch management.  I was hoping to
let a particularly nasty worm loose on a closed lab
so my students could see what happens during an outbreak,
but I'm running into a hitch - I can't find a worm that
would spread quickly enough to be useful.

Does anyone have a copy of Sasser or a similar worm
that they would be willing to send or link me to?
Please contact me off-list.  I would be happy to
verify my identity as a high school teacher off-list
as I'm sure that is a concern for most anyone who has
what I am looking for.

Please do not reply on list as I am not currently a member.
Thank you,
Chris