Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:11:06 +0100
From: "Nguyen Pham" <nguyen.petronius@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: emergent security properties

Hi list,

An emergent behavior or property can appear when a number of simple entities
operate in an environment, forming more complex behaviors as a collective.
The property itself is often unpredictable and unprecedented, and is not a
property of any such single entity: it is irreducible.

In real world, we can have many examples of these properties such as the
shape of a flock of birds or shoal of fish. The problem is that I can hardly
find out some real examples in the field of network security in terms of
sub-networks, firewalls, servers, applications, etc. with their
corresponding security properties.

For example, the overall security of the system S is (SS1, SS2, a, b, c)
with the security of its sub-systems SS1, SS2 are SS1 = (SSS3, c, d), SS2 =
(SSS2, e, f, g), etc. Here, the properties "a" and "b" are new formed ones
when SS1 and SS2 are placed in the context of system S.

Could you give me some examples on that?

Thanks in advance.
Nguyen Pham.

Content of type "text/html" skipped