Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:52:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Vic Vandal <vvandal@...l.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: CarolinaCon 2007 - Call for Speakers/Papers

InfoSec professionals, h4x0rs, script kidz, posers, and government spies:

"CarolinaCon" is back again! Yes, for about the price of your average
movie admission with popcorn and a drink, YOU are invited to join us for
yet another intimate and informative weekend of technology education.

What is this "CarolinaCon"?
CarolinaCon is an annual Technology Conference whose mission/purpose is
to;
- enhance local and global awareness of current technology issues and
developments,
- provide affordable technology education sessions to the unwashed masses,
- deliver varied/informative/interesting presentations on a wide variety
of InfoSec/hacking/technology/science topics, and
- mix in enough entertainment and side contests/challenges to make for a
truly fun event.

When/Where is CarolinaCon?
This year's event will be held on the weekend of April 20th-22nd, 2007.
The event will mostly occur at the Holiday Inn in Chapel Hill, NC. Chapel
Hill is about 30 minutes from Raleigh, Durham, and Research Triangle Park.

Who develops/delivers CarolinaCon?
CarolinaCon is proudly brought to you by "The CarolinaCon Group". The
CarolinaCon Group is a non-profit organization registered in the state of
NC, dedicated to educating the local and global communities about
technology, information/network/computer security, and information rights.
The CarolinaCon Group is also closely associated with various "2600"
chapters across NC, SC, TN, VA, LA, DC, and NY. Many of the volunteers who
help develop and deliver CarolinaCon come from those chapters.

What events will be at CarolinaCon?
CarolinaCon is mainly about the talks (presentations/demos). Alongside of
those we'll surely have several other technology-related
contests/challenges, as we've had in past years. Details on those will be
announced soon.

Who will be presenting which topics this year?
That's where YOU possibly come in. If you are somewhat knowledgeable in
some interesting field of technology, hacking, science, etc., and are
interested in speaking/presenting at CarolinaCon, we invite you to submit
your proposal (in brief) for our review. If you're interested in
presenting please send;
- your name or handle,
- the topic/presentation name,
- estimated time-length of presentation, and
- a brief topic abstract
....via e-mail to:
speakers <at> carolinacon.org

*NOTE: All submissions are due by mid-February 2007!

Unfortunately as a non-profit dedicated to affordable education, we've
made "less than $100 total profit" each of the past years and can't afford
to pay anyone to speak nor cover any related expenses (sorry). However if
you do speak at the Con, you will receive;
- free Con admission,
- a free Con t-shirt,
- an invitation to a private soiree during the conference,
- minimal fame and glory, and
- mad props from myself and others.

We value diversity, so please don't hesitate to propose your ideas no
matter how outlandish.

Past speakers/topics include highlights such as;
- IPv6 Implementations/Demos - Tokachu (NC-2600)
- Digital Media (why blue is not blue) - Lexicon (DC-2600)
- Pirate Radio - Dr Anonymous (parts/places unknown)
- Ethics in Hacking - Endgame (NC-2600)
- Hack-Nano Project - cipz (LV-2600)
- Chronology of the Phrack Microcosm - CyberSpy (SpyTech Industries)
- DNS Hacks: No Resolution - Matt (NC-2600)
- Gender in Hacking - Dr/Professor Holt (UNC-C)
- Reverse Engineering - txs (GhettoHackers)
- College of Hacking - Vic Vandal (NOLAB/504)
- Building Competitive Robots - Nick Fury (NC-2600)
....and many more!

All the talks were great in my humble opinion, but my "personal" favorites
from past years have to be; pirate radio, nano-hacking, and the robot. The
nano-hack maniac did live demonstrations that probably sterilized a few
people near the stage, the robot presentation included a working
"Johnny-5" type robot that the NCSSM team had built and competed with, and
the pirate radio presentation was about "real" pirates who raided ships by
force and then broadcast their programs from waters not in/near the
continental United States (presented by one of those pirates with related
photos).

I'm excited! What do I do know?
If you're interested in speaking, send the 411 requested to:
speakers <at> carolinacon.org
(by February 15th 2007)

And if you're interested in attending, watch this space for more details:
www.carolinacon.org
...and don't forget to mark the date on your calendar (4-20, cough)!

Peace,
Vic