Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:23:24 +0100
From: Thierry Zoller <Thierry@...ler.lu>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Vista Speech recognition

Posting of your message titled "Re[2]: [Dailydave] Vista speach
recognition"  has been rejected by the list moderator.
The moderator gave the following reason for rejecting
your request: "No reason given"

Dear George,

With all due respect, I think you are crying wolf a tad bit too much.
Speech recognition is inherently unreliable, (btw remember the presentation
they gave?). Since you deem the problem as remotely exploitable,let's ignore
for one that I have to actively browse to a website and as such be physically
in front of the PC and assume we use XSS to zombie the browser and play the
audio 5 minutes later.  Then we assume there is not too much background
noise, assume the audio level is ok, assume the microphone is on,
assume Speech recognition is used, assume audio is on, and so forth.

Too many assumption to make it a real risk for me remotely, sorry. That's
my personal opinion. Is is a vulnerability ? Yes. Is it likely to work
100% like a good crafted exploit? No

GO> So
GO> I'm asking Microsoft to reconsider their stance that "there is little if any
GO> need to worry" and implement some sort of safety mechanism rather than
GO> relying on the user to be self vigilant.  It doesn't matter that there
GO> aren't that many people using this feature; Microsoft should fix it if
GO> they're going to offer it and market it as a key Vista advantage.
I have not read they don't plan to, it's just that .. well they don't
consider it an emergency, and I can understand. The thing is they have
a different scale than you, the next wormable exploit is something
they worry about, an exploit that immediately might compromise a system
is something I think they rate as Important, this thing is exploitable
only if X+n conditions are met, if x+n assumptions are made. I don't
say it's not a problem, I say the probability of it being a problem
for a defined person is low to very low.

GO> Since
GO> Microsoft is promoting Voice recognition for healthcare, we should consider
GO> the safety of patient health records.
[X] Hysteria

GO> At present time, Vista Speech Recognition wakes up to the command "start
GO> listening".  How hard would it be for Microsoft to make that a
GO> user-definable phrase or word?  For example: A user would pick "Zelda" as
GO> the word to wake speech mode while someone else picks "439" as their wake
GO> word.  How hard would it be for Microsoft to implement a wake timeout so
GO> that Speech Recognition would sleep after 5 minutes idle?
I haven't seen any mention that they don't plan to do so, maybe I have
not read everything. My opinion: they will implement this, BUT hopefully make it an option.

GO> I'm also running a poll at the end asking if Microsoft should patch this
GO> with a pass phrase and echo cancellation.
Why would that make sense? People will vote  for a fix.

--
http://secdev.zoller.lu
Thierry Zoller