Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:50:30 +1030
From: Sûnnet Beskerming <info@...kerming.com>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, Thierry Zoller <Thierry@...ler.lu>
Subject: Re: Vista Speech recognition

If you have to use a side channel attack to ensure that the
microphone is on and the speakers are active (what ideal target
environment will have them both enabled or even fitted? No, I don't
believe healthcare will be one), why don't you just use that channel
to launch the primary attack?  While there is a real concern about
this issue, that is all it is - a concern.

I agree with Thierry that this is a low risk situation.  It will be
fun for pranking and the occasional exploit (hmm, it appears my drink
holder has been replaced with a credit card slot on my computer), but
will be harmless for most.  It will be more fun to bind sound to
system events, so that every time a dialogue box was presented the
system helpfully shouts out 'Cancel'.

Okay, so Microsoft's implementation of this feature could have been
somewhat better, but it isn't really worth the hype and coverage that
it has received to date.

Carl

Sûnnet Beskerming Pty. Ltd.
Adelaide, Australia