Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:11:26 +0100
From: KJKHyperion <hackbunny@...tpj.org>
To: Full-Disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Torpark breaks with DEP enabled,
 and how to break it further so that it works

coderman wrote:
>> Torpark, for the couple of people who don't know yet, is a bloated
>> launcher for Portable Firefox and Tor...
> fun stuff; if you don't mind even a little more bloat you might want
> to try out janusvm which gives you a transparent DNS/TCP proxy through
> Tor using a virtual machine.
Talk about overkill
> - avoids crappy windoze tcp/ip stacks via ethernet bridge.
Sorry, I'm a noted Windows fanboy and I'm not sure I find that a plus
>> PS: stop posting child porn on 4chan.org, faggots. You got almost all
>> exit nodes banned. GTFO khtxbye, go gum up anonib.com instead
> fortunately stupidity leaves many traces; these idiots leave tracks
> elsewhere and will face consequences for their actions at some point.
> [this isn't limited to banned exit nodes either, these assholes are
> also getting exit nodes confiscated in germany and elsewhere.  *sigh*]
personally? I don't care. All I know is because of some greasy
kiddyfucker in Armpit, Nebraska I can't get my daily fix of footsole
fetish from /d/ without half the campus (and, oh, any buildings in
neighboring blocks - thank you, Fastweb! You sure make me feel
connected!) snooping on me for blackmailing purposes. I have a
reputation, dammit

(haha, just kidding. I'm more of a shitting dicknipples person)
> P.S.  we've been trying for a number of weeks to get a qemu version
> working like the vmware bridge with the tap device used by qemu.  this
> causes problems due to windows routing tables, even in bridged mode
> (2k/XP) when the VPN connects to janusvm and pushes a new default
> route.  if anyone has dealt with this and knows the requisite tricks
> for making a bridged tap route outside of the windows IP routes i'd
> love to hear it...
dammit Jim, I'm a kernel hacker, not a network admin! A couple ideas,
though:
 * why not PPPoE instead of a VPN? Sorry if it doesn't make sense to
you, I just have a thing for PPPoE. Not a fetish or anything like that.
No way. Seriously, it sounds perfect for a bridged tunnel, to me
 * VMware works flawlessly because it attaches a protocol driver to all
the bridged interfaces, simulating a bridge (duh). I suspect the tap
driver is not as smart. Nowhere near as smart. I suspect, in fact, that
the tap driver expects user-mode applications to open the NIC device
directly, because that's how UNIX-heads think. It would be funny, in a
very sad way, considering that the most prominent open source NDIS
project, WinPcap, gets that right. One day, I swear, I will turn that
pile of manure into a proper, well-behaving Windows component (I mean
tap, silly! WinPcap is beyond my help now)
 * alternatively, my psychic debugging powers tell me Qemu might be
trying to inject packets through a raw socket, or something similarly
boneheaded that nevertheless works perfectly on Linux. As a general
rule, if a bridging application doesn't install a bridging protocol,
there you know something's wrong

Please ignore me if I am talking out of my ass

(... hey, did you know you can turn a Windows Server into a PPPoE
terminal server if you install a PPPoE port driver and bind RRAS to it?
easy like that! now ain't that... cool?)