Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:01:19 -0500
From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>
To: "3APA3A" <3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Vista/2003/XP/2000 file
	management security issues

--This is getting boring. Let's take this offline, just between  you and
me.

--You sound like many Linux/Unix guys I know who think they know Windows
security, but really don't. You're still acting like Windows security is
represented by Windows 95 without a firewall. You're mixing up your
security permissions, acting like you've never heard of the Creator
Owner SID, or the ability to change subfolder and file inheritance.
Either you don't know about them or you're purposefully ignoring them to
make your unlikely argument. Windows has incredibly security
granularity. You expect me to assume that the Windows administrator
makes bonehead configuration mistakes and I'm just supposed to accept
that as a Windows problem?  You can argue that some Windows
administrators may not configure something correctly based upon
perceived risks...but I'm not blaming Windows for that.

--If make a public folder in Linux and give all users RWX, it
automatically flows down to the subfolders and objects, too. You can
configure Umask, but I can do exactly the same thing in Windows, using
the Creator Owner SID. So, you make additional change in Linux to make
it more secure, but I can't do the same in Windows...and that makes it a
Windows problem??

--See my other replies below.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, Senior Security Consultant
*Microsoft Application Consulting and Engineering (ACE) Services
*http://blogs.msdn.com/ace_team/default.aspx
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger@...neretcs.com or rogrim@...rosoft.com