Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:59:39 -0400
From: "Williams, James K" <James.Williams@...com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup Mediasvr.exe
	vulnerability

CA is aware that functional exploit code was publicized on
March 30, 2007 for a CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup Mediasvr.exe
vulnerability.

We have verified that a high risk vulnerability does exist and we
are now working on a patch to address the issue.

CA recommends that BrightStor ARCserve Backup users implement the
following temporary workaround to mitigate the vulnerability:

1) Rename the "mediasvr.exe" file to a non-functional file name,
   such as "mediasvc.exe.disable".

2) Then restart the CA BrightStor Tape Engine service.

This will disable the command line functionality in the product
(i.e. command line utilities such as ca_backup, ca_restore,
ca_merge, ca_qmgr, ca_scan, etc will not work).

After we have completed our analysis of the issue, we will post
an update and patches on the CA SupportConnect website. If
additional information is required, please contact CA Technical
Support at http://supportconnect.ca.com.

If you discover a vulnerability in CA products, please report
your findings to vuln at ca dot com, or utilize our "Submit a
Vulnerability" form at
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/vulninfo/submit.aspx.

Regards,
Ken Williams ; 0xE2941985
Director, CA Vulnerability Research

CA, One CA Plaza, Islandia, NY 11749

Contact http://www3.ca.com/contact/
Legal Notice http://www3.ca.com/legal/
Privacy Policy http://www3.ca.com/privacy/
Copyright (c) 2007 CA. All rights reserved.