Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:43:06 -0400
From: Troy Cregger <tcregger@...nedyinfo.com>
To: Simon Smith <simon@...soft.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Why Microsoft should make windows open source

This is true, and I'm not saying they're "near the end", only at "the
beginning of the end"... and of course I may be wrong.

I doubt that the company will ever file chapter 11 or even get to the
point where they're totally irrelevant where software is concerned, but
the challenges they're facing now are a real and growing threat to their
market share. I just think eventually, maybe even sooner than people
think, M$ won't be such a giant relative to competition like Novell for
instance... and if I were on the board at M$ I'd keep a real close eye
on IBM too.

Honestly, the #1 reason I hear from most of the people I talk to for why
they're using Windows is "Windows plays all of my games". Between wine
and VM software that's available now, there that's becoming less of an
issue all the time. It's really starting to get down to an ease of
installation issue more than a technical one where games are concerned.

Time will tell though.

- -tlc