Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:41:31 -0400
From: Troy Cregger <tcregger@...nedyinfo.com>
To: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein@...ohio.edu>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: WEEPING FOR WEP

> Really? Like how far?

Like, I can probably get my car up over 45mph(72.42kph) before I get to
the end of my driveway far.

> I've done point-to-multipoint (me with 24db parabolic, them with a standard omni) at 6 miles (granted, I was on the 12th floor of a building).

Yeah, there's some cool shit that can be done with
wireless/WRT/WDS/parabolocs... a friend of mine was experimenting with
some directional antenna and the WRT54Gs running one of the 3rd party
firmwares. He got some pretty far reaching signals. But he had tall
buildings around too. Where I'm at, you'd be in a tree.

> 2 Linksys boxes running OpenWRT and a decent battery (actually using WDS you could have a whole string of such devices) sort of negates the mosquito/bear/skunk problem if you're so far away that you can't be found with a reasonably high-gain antenna.

You'll need a bunch of em... it takes me 25 minutes to drive to the
grocery, and I know a shortcut.

> WEP is basically a screen door, and always has been.

True, I won't argue with that. I just need to deter the neighbors from
trying a simplified version of the above so they can get free broadband
access, but even if it was an open AP, I doubt anyone would bother.
Where I live, I'm lucky if my broadband connection is working at all. In
the last 4 months alone I've gotten over $100 credited to me on my cable
bill for downtime. My house came hard wired for a generator... that
pretty much says it all right there.

I wouldn't trade it for anything though, not even heating my food on the
wood stove like it's 1827 when the power is out for 26 hours.

NOTE: I still need to pick up a generator, anyone know of one for sale? ;o)

Michael Holstein wrote:
>> I use WEP at home, even though my house is far enough from the road to
>> make it rather difficult for someone to jump on my network.
>
> Really? Like how far?
>
> I've done point-to-multipoint (me with 24db parabolic, them with a
> standard omni) at 6 miles (granted, I was on the 12th floor of a building).
>
>> Even if someone decided to hide in the woods at the edge of my yard with
>> a laptop they're more likely to be eaten by a bear, sprayed by a skunk,
>> or chewed alive by mosquitoes
>
> 2 Linksys boxes running OpenWRT and a decent battery (actually using WDS
> you could have a whole string of such devices) sort of negates the
> mosquito/bear/skunk problem if you're so far away that you can't be
> found with a reasonably high-gain antenna.
>
> WEP is basically a screen door, and always has been.
>
> ~Mike.

- --
Troy Cregger
Lead Developer, Technical Products.