Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 00:35:08 +0200
From: "Michal Majchrowicz" <m.majchrowicz@...il.com>
To: "Michal Zalewski" <lcamtuf@...ne.ids.pl>, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Cross Domain XMLHttpRequest

Hi.
I think it is security matter. I don't think that whole
XMLHttpRequests should be cross domain. Just a small part of it...
Using my script you can create an evil javascript code that will
interact with user in real time. You can create (I already did it) a
script that will contact some kind of server application and "infect"
all vulnerable links on some site and "react" to the users behavior.
In other words you are able to create "interactive" codes. Depending
on the date/subpage/cookies/etc you are able to "download" dynamic JS
code. There many situations where Real Time is very important. For
instance: let's assume, that you sent an email to john@...oo.com and
john opened your mail. You exploited XSS vulnerability in Yahoo and
you "installed" your own JS code that every 10 seconds contacts you
and reports what is going on. After 2 hours (let's assume that john
didn't log out) he gets and important mail from his boss. You are
informed about it and can "download" the contents of this mail. You
read the mail and notice that john (in response to boss' mail) asked
him for the account number to pay for something (let's assume it is
related to his work). So you have everything you need to sent fake
mail and john will pay you :) This is only theoretical situation but
in fact (till now) there wasn't any (really useful) method to perform
(for instance) very complicated Social Engineering using only XSS
attacks.
Regards Michal.