Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:43:50 -0400
From: "Maxime Ducharme" <mducharme@...ergeneration.com>
To: "'Kristian Hermansen'" <kristian.hermansen@...il.com>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: hiding routers

Hello Kristian

I did some implementation of "transparent firewalls"
on Linux.

Usually it wasnt a router, but was placed at the entry
point of networks just after the router.

ebtables on Linux can explains how it is done :
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/

The firewalls didnt have any IP addresses and were
acting as bridges with filtering capabilities.

I cannot tell if it is common setup, but it was alot
harder to "find" the firewall, almost impossible if
you arent on the same IP segment. This box would not touch
TTL field like you describe below.

These configurations currently work perfectly, I would
recommend it. it wont "breaks tcp/ip and error conditions"
if you understand and configure ebtables correctly.

Hope that helps

Maxime Ducharme