Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:37:12 -0300
From: cardoso <cardosolistas@...traditorium.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Internet Explorer Crash

ActionScript is a crappy language, it's used in Flash movies.

Since it was created to be used by webdesigners, there are lots of
failsafe devices, including an "infinity loop detector".

No more than 100.000 iterations, as I remember.

Of course real programmers hated the thing, it created lots of weird
bugs, because if you can't trust your loops... terrorists win ;)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:23:10 +0200 (CEST)
Pavel Kankovsky <peak@...o.troja.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:

PK> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
PK>
PK> > So - other than "it has already burned more than N seconds of CPU", what
PK> > test do you propose to make?
PK>
PK> "It has already consumed N megabytes of memory."
PK>
PK> This condition is superfluous from a purely theoretical POV because a
PK> program running for N units of time cannot consume more than N units of
PK> memory (*) but this upper bound is too loose for most programs doing any
PK> useful work.
PK>
PK> (*) Or less than log_2(N) units of memory unless it is going to 1. read
PK> more inputs from the outer world or 2. loop forever.
PK>
PK> --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
PK> "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."

Carlos Cardoso
http://www.carloscardoso.com <== blog semi-pessoal
http://www.contraditorium.com <== ProBlogging e cultura digital

"You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it"