Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:22:55 +0200
From: Robert Clark <Robert.Clark@...n.ch>
To: matthew wollenweber <mwollenweber@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	dailydave <dailydave@...ts.immunitysec.com>
Subject: Re: [Dailydave] iPhone Roadblock

matthew wollenweber wrote:
> I'm one of the lucky (or possibly crazy) people that managed to get an
> iPhone yesterday. If you're curious, I'm very happy with it so far. I'm not
> an Apple nut that buys all things Apple, but after years of "smartphones"
> that never seemed quite right, the iPhone really seems to have hit the
> mark.
> My biggest worry was that it used Edge rather than 3G. While at some points
> this is noticeable, the caching and windowing mechanisms really make up for
> the difference. On the whole it's the best smartphone experience I've had.
> But you can read all the reviews in a more appropriate forum...
>
> I'm really interested in hacking up my iPhone. Anything with a *nix OS
> underneath is just too tempting to leave alone. Unfortunately Apple threw a
> curve ball that's outside my skill set. The iPhone doesn't mount as a
> harddrive. I couldn't find any options in iTunes and in linux I only got:
>
> Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 15
> Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: Product: iPhone
> Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
> Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: SerialNumber: XYZ123456789
> Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 3
> choices
>
> USB device drivers aren't my thing. Anyone have any suggestions on how to
> get the thing mounted or to go about figuring out how to do so?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Its incredibly unlikely that you will be able to mount the underlying OS
filesystem in any way or form.

I expect (as is often the case) the most viable way to hack the iPhone
will be using its official firmware upgrading system and a hacked
firmware which poses as an official one.

Without doubt, we are in for some interesting discoveries.

--
/**
  * Robert Clark