Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 01:09:11 -0400
From: "Joey Mengele" <joey.mengele@...hmail.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,<demottja@....edu>
Subject: Re: IPSwitch WS_FTP Logging Server Remote Denial
	of Service -- a VDA Labs, LLC discovery

I will be sure to patch for this serious exploit vulnerability
proof of concept code hack so that my machines cannot be cracked.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:15:32 -0400 Jared DeMott <demottja@....edu>
wrote:
>IPSwitch WS_FTP Logging Server Remote Denial of Service
>Version: 7.5.29.0 (Logsrv.exe)
>
>Overview
>--------
>The WS FTP logging server is a daemon that listens on UDP port
>5151 and
>is shipped with WS FTP and by default is turned on and used by the
>local
>WS FTP instance. It binds to the public IP address of the server
>and is
>accessible externally, in part so that other WS FTP machines are
>able to
>use it as a logging interface.
>
>Description of Crash
>--------------------
>WS FTP uses a binary protocol to speak to the logging daemon, and
>each
>transmission begins with a two byte header "0xab 0xaa". If using a
>long
>string of characters to mangle the remaining portions of the
>message, a
>pointer operation fails at:
>0x00401769
>
>cmp     word ptr [ecx], 0AAADh
>jnz     short loc_401787
>
>This crashes the process. By flipping two bytes immediately after
>the
>two primary header bytes, you are also able to control where the
>dereferencing address is at the time of the crash. However, this
>does
>not appear to allow code execution on the remote host as the
>address
>referenced is too far away from any user supplied input.
>
>Discovered By
>----------------
>Justin Seitz of VDA Labs LLC (jseitz@...labs.com)
>

>Full advisory and attack code location:
>http://www.vdalabs.com/resources
>http://www.vdalabs.com/tools/ipswitch.html
>
>ipswitchlogsrv-killer.py - Change the IP and PORT numbers as
>necessary
>at the top of the file. There are two bytes that lead to different
>address offsets where the pointer dereference is attempted.

Click to lower your debt and consolidate your monthly expenses
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4d716878MGXyA105YJMeLioAE5OXJBN3lPtxoU6pi90kPhcE/