Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:31:30 -0400
From: "J. Oquendo" <sil@...iltrated.net>
To: James Lay <jlay@...ve-tothe-box.net>,
	full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Interesting fun with Cisco VPN Client
 Privilege Escalation Vulnerabilities

James Lay wrote:

> You'll need a LOT more then just the site and serial number...you'll need to
> be registered with Cisco or provide them with:
>
> REQUIRED INFORMATION
>
> * CONTACT NAME:
> * CONTACT PHONE NUMBER:
> * CONTACT CISCO.COM USERID (if one exists):
> * CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS:
> * CONTRACT #:
> * SERIAL #:
> * PRODUCT TYPE (Model Number):
> * SOFTWARE VERSION:
> * COMPANY NAME:
> * EQUIPMENT LOCATION (Address):
> * BRIEF PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

And? The problem is what? I've had firmware upgrades done via the TAC
without a contract before. I've had firmware updates done via the TAC on
stuff I bought from eBay too. Pain in the ass yes, impossible, no. Might
take a little gift to gab, but I can tell you I've gotten what I needed
when I needed it and I have enough Cisco crap lying around to disprove
this message the world over. (http://www.infiltrated.net/rewired/ not
even up-to-date at this point)

> "The product that you requested support for is an older product that has
> passed the warranty period date for that product.  Once a product becomes
> End of Sale, it is supported for three years
> beyond the End of Sale date and then becomes End of Support.

End of Support is self explanatory. Do you expect any vendor to go
backwards. What incentives do they have to do so. It would be more
costly for most to do so, use some common sense, its not like they will
have product X still being sold be a re-seller to support it. They gave
you X amount of time notice that X product is at the EOS stage, then
told you look its EOS but we'll still deal with it for 3 years after
that. Plan ahead.

> The last gig is:
>
> "The Cisco VPN Client for Windows is available for download from the
> following location on cisco.com:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/windows?psrtdcat20e2 "
>
> Heh..nothing there.
>
> Interesting...VERY interesting ;)

Apparently you had difficulty reading (or including) the entire print:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/index.html

"The Cisco VPN Client is included with all models of Cisco VPN 3000
Series concentrators and Cisco ASA 5500 Series security appliances
(excluding ASA 5505), and most Cisco PIX 500 security appliances.
Customers with Cisco SMARTnet® support contracts and encryption
entitlement may download the Cisco VPN Client from the Cisco Software
Center at no additional cost. For customers without Cisco SMARTnet
support contracts, a media CD containing the client software is
available for purchase. This CD does not provide access to the most
current patch releases."

Do you have a Smart Net contract, if so, guess what, its free to
download, if not, pay for the cd... No voodoo in those words. Would be a
different story had you posted "I logged in with my Smart Net and there
is nothing there what gives!". Anyway...........

So how was this relevant to any form of full-disclosure I ask since
puzzled me a little. Who knows I just keep reminding myself of my my
dyslexia (fool||full-disclosure), keeps me stable.

J. Oquendo
"Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta"

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF684C42E
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (5157 bytes)