Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 00:28:26 +0530
From: Raj Mathur <raju@...ux-delhi.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: World's most powerful supercomputer goes
	online (fwd)

On Sunday 02 September 2007 23:05, hack the gov wrote:
> On 9/2/07, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu <Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu> wrote:
> [snip]
> > No, between Storm and the Rock Phish stuff, I hardly think they
> > qualify as "pussies".  Taking in $150M with *one* of their projects
> > makes them seriously big time.
> >
> > http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?subjectid=7933606&story_i
> >d=9723768
> [more snip]
> i think most americans would hand over their computer to the american
> government for a "cyber nuke program" to counter the "cyber threat"
> by russia. if i thought russia was "cyber nuking" the west or was
> about to, i'd sure let my computer be signed upto the "cyber nuke
> program", to make sure my bandwidth killed the russians "cyber nuke".

Er, wouldn't a sizeable number of the computers in the botnet be in .us
anyway?  There's no ``russians "cyber nuke"'', they just happen to
control zombies all over the world.

> this talk is very futuristic, but i think in the future we will need
> to get a u.s president to convince the american people that there is
> a "cyber threat", and we need your computers to counter incoming
> "cyber attacks" by foreign governments and terrorist groups.
> [snip]

Dude, ``your computer'' is probably already on the botnet!  The solution
is a way to keep computers clean, not going around nuking each other.
There are also no ``incoming "cyber attacks"'' -- the attack is from
your neighbour's PC.

Regards,

-- Raju
--