Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:12:06 -0400
From: Juergen Fiedler <juergen@...dlerfamily.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Unreal: a movement to block Firefox

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 11:58:24AM -0400, mbs wrote:
[...]
> I don't know about anyone else, but I happen to pay for my internet
> access. If I choose not to waste my bandwidth (and my time) with
> unwanted content, I would suggest that is my right.

This is not going to be a very popular opinion, but I submit that the
only honest way to exercise this right is to stay away from sites that
serve content that you don't want to see.

The 'I pay for my Internet access, so all content should be free'
argument makes as much sense as, say, claiming that because you pay for
your cable TV, all pay-per-view shows ought to be free of charge.
What you pay for is the delivery of the content, not the content
itself; web site owners don't see a dime of what you pay to your ISP.

By serving ads on a site, the owner implicitly demands viewing them as
a form of payment for the content they provide. While I think that
blocking all Firefox users from a site makes very litle sense, I can
entirely disagree with the conclusion that blocking ads from ad
supported sites is uncomfortably close to theft.

Just my two cents...
 -Juergen

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)