Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:56:41 -1000
From: Peter Besenbruch <prb@...a.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Google Tracking

Cyberheb wrote:
> "Noscript is ur friend"?!
>
> Beside using that firefox add-on to block the google-analytics thing, you
> can also use the anonymity tools to hide from other analysis tracking
> application.

Layering defenses helps counter tracking. Start with a hosts file, such
as the one found here:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
It blocks the Urchin tracker, as well as many others.

Noscript helps; so does Adblock Plus, which makes it easier to see the
little nasties than by simply viewing the page source.

Let's not forget the various cookie managing tools out there, although
for Firefox it's simple enough to tell the browser to dump them all when
you close the browser.

There are the locally installed proxies, like Proxomitron (a Windows
program that runs flawlessly under Wine) and Privoxy.

Finally, for the truly paranoid, you combine the above with IP
obfuscation tools like TOR, or JAP. Even "Stupid Censorship" helps some.

I do a lot of my browsing from a fixed IP address. Consequently, I use
all of the above techniques when I browse. I just don't like the rampant
profiling that goes on. Neither do I like the stepped up spying on the
Internet that my government engages in. I like being able to browse with
the knowledge that people will have to work very hard to track me.
Consequently, when it comes time to search for "how to build a nuclear
bomb," I can find out how to do it in complete privacy here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~enigmaep/annihilation/buildabomb.html

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky