Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:30:58 -0500
From: "Joel R. Helgeson" <joel@...geson.com>
To: "'Beauchamp, Brian'" <bbeauchamp@...ord.k12.pa.us>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Symantec Contact?

Symantec is notoriously slow to release AV updates, because while they may
have the AV signature available within the hour, they hold it back until
they have the signature configured and working for all versions of all their
products running on all platforms, which at last count was over 2.45
gazillion (and counting).

They state that they don't want to issue partial releases for different
products, which makes sense. If you have version xxx.yyyy.z of the
definition file, then you're covered against the FOO variant of the BAR
virus, irrespective of whatever Symantec application, platform, or version
you're running.

The downside is that they take a LONG time to release signatures, as you
have now seen.

I do not use Symantec, as too often they have been the single point of
failure in the enterprise, and one should not underestimate the system
slowdown brought on by 15 years of code bloat.

-joel