Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:20:27 +0000
From: gjgowey@....blackberry.net
To: "Eric Rachner" <eric@...hner.us>,
	full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: The Death of Defence in Depth ? -
	Aninvitation to Hack.lu

I think reducing size and enhancing security do not belong in any document that regards security.  If you are relying on one solution as a cure all then you're doomed to failure.  This is because all products have bugs and problems and having only one uniform environment to work with is a fertile ground for a disaster.  This is not a hypothetical thought either.

I had one employer who once did not patch his windows systems properly.  Mind you he had antivirus protection, but it didn't save him.  A worm got loose and it went through 5 sites worth of win XP systems like a blow torch through butter because the connectivity was free and clear between them (nice fat OC-192s no less).  I prefer to abide by a saying that I once read on a fidonet posting: never have more than 10% of one companies product, never be more than 10% of one companies business.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.