Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:03:17 +0100
From: "James (njan) Eaton-Lee" <james.mailing@...il.com>
To: gjgowey@....blackberry.net
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	"pdp \(architect\)" <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>
Subject: Re: Remote Desktop Command Fixation Attacks

You can take defence in depth too far (or misinterpret it and implement
something that's just overcomplex)... actually, I think this e-mail
demonstrates how not to do defence in depth. Here's my take on this
approach:

gjgowey@....blackberry.net wrote:
> If you want my take on how to secure a wireless network I'd approach it like this:
>
> 1) wpa2 (of course)
> 2) mac restrictions (yes, keeping a list of legitimate mac's will be required, but if you don't have an automated inventory system in this day and age then how are you ensuring nothing goes missing to begin with?).
> 3) ipsec VPN connections from all systems that connect via the wireless (this is in addition to the wpa2) using a unique cert per system (not the typical shared password setup that I am still amazed passes for secure in some peoples minds).
> 4) all traffic must go through a proxy server that sits right behind the VPN concentrator)
>
> If you're running an MS based setup:
> 5) necessary GP modifications to enforce all this and more (if you study all the options available to be forced, xp, w2k, and w2k3 really can get quite secure at the protocol level).
> 6) force kerberos authentication everywhere possible with absolutely no client side caching of the credentials allowed.  Reason: even if someone gets all the way through to the proxy server level ISA can still stop someone cold if their machine doesn't have a machine account on the domain (good luck spoofing that).
>

> Basically you're looking at layers of authentication and encryption with no way around any of them (even if you do plug in a NIC on one of the systems that's on the wireless) and this really doesn't take a lot of hardware or software to pull off.  Example setup: in front would be your WAP behind that would be a Cisco pix fw with a Cisco VPN concentrator behind it and a MS w2k3 box running ISA behind that.  4 devices basically providing a very solid wireless infrastructure.

=> Broadly...

This set of steps is redundant in many places, and it's also enormously
expensive, since you're using no less than three different expensive
bits of networking hardware (AP, PIX, VPN Concentrator), in addition to
a bunch of x86 server hardware, windows server licenses, and at least
one ISA license.

When you consider that anyone with a serious need for such a "secure"
infrastructure also probably has very high requirements in terms of
reliability and redundancy, you're going to have to double that cost to
cover cisco/windows licenses and the cost of provisioning physically
redundant kit and inter-site supporting connectivity.

=> Specifically...

VPNs-over-wireless is very 2001, and is worth avoiding, unless you have
very good reasons for it, and WPA2-Radius and EAP-TLS should strongly be
considered as an alternative. Here are some specific disadvantages of
the approach you've outlined, and of VPNs employed thusly in general:

i) Your computers necessarily don't have full access to your network
infrastructure when they aren't logged on, so GPOs, software updates,
etc can't be applied at the times you want them to be applied (when the
PCs aren't in use). Either:
  * You accept you won't have any, and push updates / update GPOs after
    users authenticate (obvious disadvantages for management/performance)
  * You decide you want wireless clients to update GPOs, carry out
    software updates, etc. when no-one's logged on, when the VPN drops
    etc. In this case, you have to provision a mezzanine network
    infrastructure just for this - which requires protection (and exposes
    an attack surface). Since your laptops are probably domain clients
    you're necessarily going to have a route back to the network behind
    the VPN required to make this approach work via infrastructure
    exposed to the wifi network pre-VPN, and even if you fast forward to
    12 months time and use a Read-Only w2k8 DC or similar, the attack
    surface and complexity involved really questions why you're
bothering
    with the VPN anyway.

ii) Users can't roam between Access Points (the VPN connection falls over)
iii) The logon process becomes complicated and unfriendly, and is
different from working non-wirelessly, as you're going to need to
configure machines with VPN Connectoids that enable the "logon using
dialup connection" option in the login screen. You'll probably have to
roll some custom code / script to poll the up-ness of the VPN frequently
and force it to be re-established when it goes down. (see (ii))
iv) If any one of your pieces of infrastructure fall over (Wireless APs,
VPN Servers, Proxy Servers, and probably CAs, LDAP Servers, or
Webservers used to check the CRL, since you're using x.509 certs for
authentication) you lose the entire infrastructure, and your users can't
logon or do any work. That's a long string of dependencies.
v) Significant performance hit due to the use of VPNs tunneling traffic
over wireless.
vi) Your users aren't going to be able to do *anything* that won't go
over a proxy server, since you've said "all traffic must go through a
proxy server". This means one of the following things:
   * Only Web/FTP Traffic is allowed
   * You're going to allow HTTP CONNECT tunneling on all ports,
obviating  the proxy server entirely and making life for your users
hellish as you try and force a whole load of traffic to go over a web proxy
   * You're going to use SOCKS (similar to the previous)
   * You're going to use the ISA Firewall Client, which does in effect
allow you to authenticate all traffic going via your ISA Servers, but
renders the VPN pointless, and is very difficult to firewall.
   * Only selected traffic is *actually* going to traverse the proxy
server when you realise it isn't a panacea (again, obviating the need
for it). Since you've specifically highlighted authentication as the
main reason for the "proxy server" here, and you've mentioned kerberos
as a protocol that is traversing your wlan, you can't simply mean
"application-layer firewall", and I must only assume you want to use the
firewall client (or don't understand what ISA does).
vii) Probably other stuff I didn't think about in the 10 minutes it took
me to write this e-mail.

Many elements of the policy are pretty pointless given the number of
other restrictions you have in place, such as:

MAC Filtering - when you consider what a tiny hurdle MAC spoofing is
compared to your VPN infrastructure, proxy infrastructure, kerberos, etc
and the overhead associated with this, it really seems quite pointless.

The Cisco PIX - Why? To filter the one or two ports hitting the VPN
Concentrator? Even if you had this after the concentrator and not
before, sitting a PIX (which is a firewall) in front of an ISA Server
(which is a firewall) and behind a VPN Concentrator (which probably does
basic firewalling itself) is pretty redundant, especially given the
bandwidth your LAN clients likely use and the cost of Cisco Firewalls.
If you're going down the Firewall Client route, firewalling the traffic
between ISA and the VPN Concentrator is almost entirely pointless anyway.

Turning on, enabling, and implementing every possible security setting
and device you think of is not defence in depth, and will probably only
have two effects - your users won't use your wireless network, and
you'll burn so much cash you won't have any left to spend on *useful*
security measures.

=> Alternatively...

You can do some extremely nice things with WPA2-Radius, it can be
authenticated in a very similar way to VPNs, using 802.1x and EAP-TLS
with certificates, and you can even dump users into different VLANs over
wifi depending upon who they authenticate as. It can be implemented for
the price of a $300 entry-level enterprise-grade AP such as those from
HP and Cisco, using existing licensed Radius software on your Windows
DCs, and an existing licensed Enterprise CA with autoenrolment.

If that's not good enough, and you simply must have encryption and
authentication over the top of your encrypted, authenticated wifi lan,
why not use IPSec? This provides a performance benefit over a VPN (no
tunneling), is far more granularly configurable (across your whole AD
estate via GPOs), and won't automatically break when users roam across
Access Points. It also provides security for *all* users, not just VPN
users, and generally hardens the soft underbelly of your internal
network infrastructure rather than relying on an overcomplex outer shell
which, once breached, exposes your (probably under-hardened) internal
network.

This approach makes it substantially easier to provision new wireless
access points too (since they no longer have connectivity requirements
tied to your proxy/VPN infrastructure or carry the requirement to
provision additional VPN Servers / PIXes / ISA Servers / etc). At worst
you may have a few trunked vlans.

There is obviously a performance and management hit associated with this
approach (IPSec), but I think it's a more balanced one based on the
nature of the threat, and it provides a greater return than just wifi
security.

> If you're looking to step it up further you can go with MS SMS server and shavlik netchk to manage and audit the laptops.

If you were going to take this a step further, I'd suggest using one of
the many NAP-like platforms currently out there, doing some sensible
application-layer firewalling, or waiting until w2k8 came out and using
NAP itself. You've already got NAQC, since in your hypothetical scenario
you've already bought some ISA Licenses - you may as well actually use them.

  - James.

   James (njan) Eaton-Lee | UIN: 10807960 | http://www.jeremiad.org

    "All at sea again / And now my hurricanes
    Have brought down this ocean rain / To bathe me again"

  https://www.bsrf.org.uk | ca: https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3
--

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (3521 bytes)